Welcome to the exiting world of health through chiropractic! Your doctor uses the Gonstead System and would like for you to understandi what to expect on your visits and to learn more about the thorough exam process that makes your chiropractor unique. Please feel free to ask questions and express any concern you may have. Your Gonstead doctor is dedicated to your health.
Is a system used to analyze and care for the spine. It is a gentle, effective technique that is specific, accurate and precise in
evaluating and adjusting the spine.
Come in for a consultation and get
started on your therapy today
Solve your spine problems .
Come and see us today
What does that mean?
In dealing with the vertebral subluxation complex (or nerve pressure), it is important to the Gonstead practitioner to thoroughly examine the spine before adjusting it. Why? In order to give a specific adjustment, your chiropractor needs to evaluate and find the location of your subluxations (or misalignment) which may be the cause of your health problems.
As a Gonstead practitioner, your chiropractor uses the following thorough methods of analysis.
If your car breaks down, you explain the problems you are having with your car to your ca mechanic. The mechanic also asks you what type of fuel you are putting in your car. Likewise, your doctor wants to know what kind of problems or discomfort you have been experiencing and how you are fueling your body. Automobile accidents, falls, and other traumas or injuries are important information in evaluating your spine and overall health.
Your chiropractor may use an instrument (a Nervoscope, Temposcope or NCM). These instruments, like a thermometer, measure heat. Abnormal heat distribution is a sign to the doctor that there may be nerve dysfunction and joint swelling in the spine. This instrument is another evaluation tool to look for possible subluxations. The instrument glides down the length of your back and feels like two fingers gliding down either side of your spinal column.
Like static palpation, your chiropractor palpates the spine while bending your spine at different angles. The chiropractor determines range of motion, or, how easily or difficult each segment of your spine moves easily or difficult each segment of your spine moves. For example, there may be problems if you can bend further to the left than to the right. Lack of motion is one of the factors in the vertebral subluxation complex.
Like static palpation, your chiropractor palpates the spine while bending your spine at different angles. The chiropractic determines range of motion, or, how easily or difficult each segment of your spine moves. For example, there may be problems if you can bend further to the left than to the right. Lack of motion is one of the factors in the vertebral subluxation complex.
To further understand the condition of your spine, it is also important to view the structure of your spine through the use of an x-ray examination. Your doctor looks for : signs of pathology (disease) and fracture, evaluates posture, the joints of the spine and the condition of the discs as well as other conditions of the spine. Your doctor can also use x-rays to visualize what position the vertebrate are in so that he or she can adjust the spine as gently, specifically and effectively as possible.
After complete evaluation using these methods of analysis, your chiropractor is ready to provide a specific, accurate and precise adjustment. The cause of your discomfort-the areas of subluxation-have been determined so there is a focus on adjusting the problem areas only.
• Gonstead chiropractors approach the spine biomechanically-which means that they relate the structure of the spine to how they will adjust it. Gonstead doctors take great care in making sure you are in a mechanically correct position for your adjustment. Accurate positioning and precision thrusting insure that the correction is as accurate and painless as possible.
• To help illustrate the necessity of correct positioning, think of how a pottery sculptor carefully positions the clay of the pottery wheel before shaping or reshaping the clay. If the clay is not in the center of the pottery wheel, it will become off-balance and loss its shape. Likewise, your chiropractor is “reshaping” the position of the vertebrae in your spine.
• In summary, your Gonstead practitioner uses the following methods of analysis to evaluate your spine: case history, x-ray examination, visualization, instrumentation, static and motion palpation. By using these thorough methods of assessment, giving careful consideration to positioning, and relying on his or her expert training, your chiropractor can give you a proper adjustment, assuring you of biomechanically sound correction of your subluxations.
As a concerned parent, you no doubt wonder if your child is as healthy as possible.
Many factors contribute to your child’s overall health. A major component is the communication between your child’s brain and body, a vital link controlling the growth, repair, and function of every tissue and organ in the body. Diet, exercise, rest, and emotional and spiritual support are other important factors.
Chiropractic recognizes the importance of each of these factors as they contribute to your child’s health.
Vertebrae ( the bones in your back) fit together so that the LIOFE (nerve supply) produced in your brain may filter down your spinal cord and out over your nerves. This LIFE is responsible for growth, repair, and healing in your entire body. When vertebrae are out of their natural alignment, nerves become stretched or twisted ( commonly referred to as a nerve “pinch”), and this vital communication system in the body is disrupted.
This neurological disturbance is called a subluxation, and it may result in the failure of one or more parts of the body, as well as health in general. Subluxations can also foster the onset of sickness and disease as the body weakens.
The Doctor of Chiropractic specializes in the detection and correction of subluxations. Instead of treating the symptoms. Instead of treating the symptoms of the disease, the chiropractor corrects the subluxation so that normal body functions may take place. This is done by laying our hands on your back and gently lining up the vertebrae in their natural position. This process may take place. This is done by laying our hands on your back and gently lining up the vertebrae in their natural position. This process may take weeks or months , depending on the amount of misalignment. LIFE may then be restored throughout the body, and healing can take place. As your body heals, the symptoms begin to diminish.
By having subluxations corrected throughout childhood, your child will have a better opportunity to be as healthy as possible.
Newborn infants should be checked within hours after birth. The birth process, even under natural and controlled conditions, is potentially traumatic. During the pushing stage of labor, the spine, particularly the neck, may be injured as the baby is compressed and pushes down the birth canal. The most frequent subluxation experienced by newborns results from the pulling, twisting, and compression of the infant’s spine during birth.
Although birth subluxation may cause immediate symptoms, such as respiratory depression, there may be far-reaching effects that are manifested for years. The child’s ability to fight against disease, for example, may be lowered. Colds, ear infections, colic, and other illnesses may result.
Subluxations may also interfere with internal organ function, resulting in the inability to produce chemicals responsible for raising and lowering body temperature as needed. Research has also indicated that the body’s immune response in the production of anti-viral and anti-bacterial agents to fight infection is gently compromised due to vertebral subluxations.
The chiropractic approach to health care is natural. It does not try to stimulate or inhibit normal body function. Instead, the chiropractor addresses the important relationship between the nervous system and disease. The systematic effect of vertebral subluxations is complex. Many childhood illnesses may be manifested in the pediatric patient due to abnormal body functions. In light of this, your chiropractor may be the best doctor to help your child.
• Chiropractors help in correcting the vertebral subluxation complex (VSC) so that your body can function more normally and begin its healing process. VSC is a condition which may affect your muscles, your nerve tissues and your joints. It may result in impaired spinal function causing pain, lack of motion, and interference with normal nerve activity. This may lead to a wide variety of bodily symptoms such as pain, numbness and tingling in your body’s joints, as well as problems with internal organs such as your stomach, lungs, etc. If not taken care of, permanent change may result.
• There are many factors that cause VSC: falls, jolts, strains, car accidents, stress and emotional upsets as well as lifestyle habits such as improper exercise, sleep, die and work.
• Because many of these factors probably affect you, it is important to have your spine checked regularly and not just when you experience pain or other symptoms. Your Gonstead chiropractor will help in restoring and maintaining proper spinal function guiding you towards improved health.